You’ve seen the signs: IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THANK A TEACHER. BUT a teacher, to me, is so much more than only that person who has taught us to read, write or do that other thing. (Love to the math teachers too!)
We have so many teachers in our midst.
Those who actually went to school to get a teaching degree fill the first few years of our lives- daily. I am blessed and honored to be one of those that get to experience high school with so many awesome students. I truly enjoy doing what I do …for the great, good, bad and ugly attitudes. One of my former teachers (the first year I got to actually TEACH with him) once said, “How fun would teaching be if all your kids were ‘MODEL STUDENTS’?” That statement stuck with me, because, for me, just like him, that is so true! If all of our students were the exact same, this job I love so much, might not be so fun. I do know some teachers and have worked with many that exasperate themselves to no end, because they want all of their classes to get everything the first time and to all learn the exact same way. That is a subject for another blog.
TEACHERS are important. Those who have their degree, though, aren’t the only ones we encounter. I know, this Teacher Appreciation Week is really designated for those certification carrying ones, but I’m here to acknowledge the OTHER teachers as well…
My dad, who taught me so many things from his positive encouragement and negative ways. He was my absolute cheerleader, but may things he did in his life that I witnessed made me learn that I definitely did not want to do that.
My mom, who through her sweet spirit, showed me that if you get mad, you don’t have to dwell on it…move on. I, of course, don’t do that all the time, but for the most part, I try my best to forgive and forget and she was stellar at that!
My grandmothers who were such great friends, but so much UN-alike. They both showed me so many characteristics from the docile, sweet and quiet to the spunky, cantankerous and onerey. How they were best of friends still cracks me up.
I learn from my children. They teach me most of all that GOD puts up with a lot from us. We are His children just like they are ours. I want to give them all I can and I know God does the same for us. I have learned that this truth which is mentioned and praised about in the Bible, is my most favorite truth. God wants our life to work out for the good.
There are so many who have taught me awesome stuff over the years and some I’m about to list continue to teach me daily AND they teach me more than I can list, but here goes: (and yes, some are certified teachers)
- Mrs. Garrison…taught me that not only is ARTING a great career, but being a mentor no matter what you are doing, is the best!
- Mr. Hanoshack …taught me that teaching should be fun and sometimes crazy –even if your students look at you like you are FOR REAL crazy–it’s worth it, because they will remember something from your display/lecture even if it’s just the fact that you are CRAZY.
- Mr. Oglesby …taught me that even though student teaching days might be a nightmare, that is NOT the way your teaching career has to be. THANK GOD!
- Mrs. Jensen …taught me that teaching is something that is not only a career, but a calling.
- Coach Chadwick …taught me that being the happiest and most supportive person you can be is above all the best thing you can do in this life.
- Johnny Coleman …taught me that being a friend who will do anything for you is what a friend is really supposed to do –no matter what.
- Reagan Y’barbo …taught me that it’s important to have someone you can go to for every aspect of a woman’s life–a man doesn’t understand EMOTION sometimes!
- Tammy Whitehurst …taught me that even tho your younger years might have been crazy insane and sinful, GOD STILL LOVES ME and will never not love me.
- Danny Essary …taught me that a path based on the Bible is for real the only way AND you can be friends forever no matter how far away you are from each other or how few times you get in touch over the years.
I could list so many others, but for now, I’m going to list ONE MORE who might not think he has taught me anything and probably wishes I would learn MORE of the stuff he thinks I should…
BOBBY LEE CLAWSON has taught me that a person can love another person unconditionally…no matter what they say or do OR what their physical appearance is even when it’s changed numerous times over the years due to things such as exercise, diet and AGE. In this day and age, there are so many who don’t hang on to relationships (married or otherwise), because they don’t work for it and definitely don’t know what about or can show UNCONDITIONAL love. If you truly love someone, then no matter what–YOU LOVE THEM. Again, just like GOD loves us. We can do horribly despicable things yet, HE STILL LOVES US. Bobby Lee has taught me that people CAN do this.
“We love because HE first loved us.” 1John 4:19
GOD is the ultimate Teacher. What a lesson! Thanks Teacher!